jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Bhattacharya, Sudip" <sudip.bhattacha...@genpact.com>
Subject How does remote testing distribute work?
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 14:50:42 GMT
I am setting up a 500 user test script, where 500 users are distributed in 5 thread groups(5
separate use cases) of 100 users each.
TestPlan
---TG1 (100users)
---TG2 (100users)
---TG3 (100users)
---TG4 (100users)
---TG5 (100users)

I have 5 remote servers configured in my jmeter properties to distribute my load on, and I
have also registered my locahost ip. So RemoteStart menu displays 6 servers.
So the list looks like:
1.       localhost
2.       LoadGenSvr1
3.       LoadGenSvr2
4.       LoadGenSvr3
5.       LoadGenSvr4
6.       LoadGenSvr5

If I click on Remote Start All now, how will JMeter distribute the load on these 6 Load Generating
nodes?

1.       Will it execute the whole script on all 6 nodes - 500 users on each node = 500*6
= 3000 user load emulated on target server?
2.       Will it execute 1/6 of 500 users on each of the 6 nodes, so that the total load emulated
on the target server stays 500 users?
3.       Is there a way to set affinity of threadgroups to remoteservers, so that I can say
TG1 would execute on LoadGenSvr1, TG2 on LoadGenSvr2, etc?

Please help me understand.

______________________________
Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya, PMP
Senior Principal Consultant, BPM Track, Products Org
Genpact, Delhi, India

C +91 98995 16992
E sudip.bhattacharya@genpact.com<mailto:sudip.bhattacharya@genpact.com>
www.genpact.com<http://www.genpact.com/>

This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read,
copied and used only
by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or attachments) and disclosure
or copying of its
contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful. Unintended recipients must notify
the sender immediately
by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any copies or disclosing
it to a third person.