jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Bhattacharya, Sudip" <sudip.bhattacha...@genpact.com>
Subject RE: How to achieve controlled ramp-up of users?
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 12:56:34 GMT
Hi Andrey,

Thank you for offering your help. I am not sure how easy it is going to be to change the Stepping
Thread Group. But still am mentioning my idea of how it can be augmented to add more flexibility.

The Stepping Thread Group style that I tried is in the screenshot below.

 [cid:image002.jpg@01CAF6B7.806C7500]

You will notice that the 100 user ramp-up is immediate at each step in the image below. It
ideally should be a slow ramp-up of each group, so that the server is not overwhelmed at the
sudden 100 user jump, and then allow some hold period when the server is allowed to stabilize
at that load. During this stabilizing hold period we can see how the server behaves at that
load. And then the next set of users are added slowly for the next user load level.

We continue this stepped rampup until the server breaks at a certain threshold load level.

I have added a few hours of stabilizing period after each ramp up, where I will try and monitor
the server behavior at that level.

Instead of the single row ramp-up parameters, I would prefer something like a grid entry mode,
so that multiple lines can be added as required.

-This group will start [500] threads:

----First wait for [15] seconds,

--------Then, Start [100] threads, Ramping-up Over [600] seconds, Hold load for [3600] seconds
(at 100 users test for 1 hrs)

--------Then, Start [100] threads, Ramping-up Over [900] seconds, Hold Load for [7200] seconds
(at 200 users test for 2 hrs)

--------Then, Start [100] threads, Ramping-up Over [1200] seconds, Hold Load for [7200] seconds
(at 300 users test for 2 hrs)

--------Then, Start [100] threads, Ramping-up Over [1500] seconds, Hold Load for [10800] seconds
(at 400 users test for 3 hrs)

--------Then, Start [100] threads, Ramping-up Over [1800] seconds, Hold Load for [14400] seconds....(at
500 users test for 4 hrs)

--------<<ADD MORE ROWS BUTTON>>

----Then work for 14400 seconds, <<this can be removed, as the previous row would mention
the execution period>>

-Finally, stop [10] threads every [20] seconds.

So I am first adding 100 users over 10 mins, then observing the server for 1 hour, then add
another 100 users over 15 mins, then again observing the server for 2 hours at the 200 user
load, then adding another 100 users over 20 mins. Notice that the rampup time of subsequent
steps is slower as the server is under more user load at that point, so I am allowing for
a slower load increase mode. Also at higher load levels, we will require more stabilizing
time for the server.

Regards,

Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya