jmeter-user mailing list archives

From TincaTibo <TincaT...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on Ramp Up period
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:09:12 GMT
Hi,

A ramp up period is necessary when your application can't handle all user
connexions at the same time.
Connecting everybody at the same time usually does a useless stress on the
server, that will generates bad response times, server hang, or worse, total
failure. Because the servers have to create all the application context /
thread / memory increase at once.

To prevent that behaviour, ramp up is a good idea. Especially as in real
life, users does not connect all at once.

As for the timings, whith 5 users, and a ramp up of 5s, with 300s duration:
- after 5s, all your threads will be started
- start rate at 1 / second approximately
- each thread will last 300s
- your test will end at 300 + 5 (time of last thread start) : that is to say
: 305 s

Play with it!

Rgds,
Tibo