jmeter-user mailing list archives

From prasanna bhat <prasannabha...@gmail.com>
Subject Question on Ramp Up period
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:10:40 GMT
Hi,

Description of Ramp Up period in the user manual :
This property tells JMeter how long to delay between starting each user. For
example, if you enter a Ramp-Up Period of 5 seconds, JMeter will finish
starting all of your users by the end of the 5 seconds. So, if we have 5
users and a 5 second Ramp-Up Period, then the delay between starting users
would be 1 second (5 users / 5 seconds = 1 user per second). If you set the
value to 0, JMeter will immediately start all users.

Usecase description:
I have 5 users in the thread, a Ramp Up period set to 5 sec and  the
duration set to 300 sec in the Scheduler configuration. So for the first 5
seconds each thread is invoked with a delay of 1 sec, but is the same
behavior(next thread is delayed for 1 sec) exhibited for the next 300 secs
of test duration?

And also i was not clear as to how Ramp Up period is advantageous? and  when
to (and when not to) set this Ramp Up period?

Thanks,
Prasanna