jmeter-user mailing list archives

From David Levine <eniv...@gmail.com>
Subject How to search for text within a PDF?
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 02:42:20 GMT
I've got a web application that returns a PDF file, and I'd like to assert
that a particular value is in the PDF file.  I thought I could use a
Response Assertion to look for the value.  That was based on my totally
naive and uninformed assumption about the PDF file format.  After doing a
cursory search, it looks like the actual text inside the PDF is encoded in
some way that I haven't taken the time to figure out.  In other words, the
content of a PDF file is opaque to both myself and JMeter at the moment.  So
before I consider taking a little deeper dive to see if there's any way I
can write an assertion on a text value in a PDF document, I thought I'd ask
this most knowledgeable group the question:

Does anyone know how to write an assertion on a text value in a PDF
document?

Just to give you a sense of it, here's what the beginning of the excellent
JMeter proxy tutorial looks like.

%PDF-1.4
%äöÜß
1 0 obj