jmeter-user mailing list archives

From William Ottley <williamott...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I thought i was starting to understand jmeter, then this situation happens...
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:48:03 GMT
HI all,

Well I have a home AND office environment. so the difference really is the 2
different switches between the machines.
the office has a cisco, and the home, well linksys switch.

here is my new config:
http://pastebin.com/B50Nergb

Now I have come to realise that although it did increase the connections, I
changed some settings and they lowered. (I'll explain the settings in a
bit). I went to the webserver (home one) and decided to do a netstat, and
came to see the problem. too many TIME_WAIT:

[root@web1 ~]# netstat -ant |grep :80|wc -l
28555
[root@web1 ~]# netstat -ant |grep :80|grep ESTABLISHED|wc -l
7833
[root@web1 ~]# netstat -ant |grep :80|grep TIME_WAIT|wc -l
17581
[root@web1 ~]# netstat -ant |grep :80|grep FIN_WAIT2|wc -l
4162

So, in a nut shell jmeter is doing its job, sending all those threads! BUT,
now its the webserver side that has to be tweaked to take them all, etc.
I gave up on apache, and decided to install lighttpd: much better!!!!

Now the highest threads I got so far are:
Home machine: 10993
office machine: 8518

I think there's only a few things now that could be tweaked on jmeter, but i
think we can all agree that its doing a great job!
Back to the changes.

When you add a HTTP Request HTTPClient (thanks SEBB!)
it comes with these 2 settings already checked:
Redirect Automatically = true
Use KeepAlive = true

When I went home, and did my first test (after increasing the connections
variable on lighttpd), I got the 10993.
I then went and changed the config to false for both the redirect and the
keepalive, and my threads went really low, like 7000, 9000

so i'll be reading up on the keepalive part. If all I want to do is create
the most amount of connections, do I have more HTTPClient samples, or have
more Thread Groups? (still can't figure that out).

Now the final part of this awesome journey (thanks guys your the best!) is
to get the server side OS to work and lower those TIME_WAIT!
I have Centos 5.4? but i'm now starting to think I should go with NetBSD or
FreeBSD.. anyways (this is beyond this mailling list so won't bug you guys
on that).

If anyone else is on the same boat as me right now, trying to find the max
amount of connections their machine can handle, contact me, we can share
resourse....

Peace

William