jmeter-user mailing list archives

From James Hill <everywhere...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Grouping recorded requests
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:59:00 GMT
OMFG, I'm such a twit. I hadn't set up the Test Action sampler before with a
timer as a child. Just did and it worked.

Thank you so much, it's the perfect solution :)

I now have a MySQL db set up with an import script for CSV log files to
manage the large amounts of data that can come out of long running tests.
And it all just works.

Thank you again.

Regards,
James.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:30 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> In this case, a single request to a web page creates
> > multiple child requests as the main elements retrieve data. Note that
> this
> > isn't a problem until I start adding timers to simulate user pauses.
> >
> > If I add a timer, then the timer is executed after each child request so
> > for
> > e.g. a 20 second delay is placed between each request to a page element,
> > not
> > just for the page itself. To put it in user experience terms, it's
> > equivalent to having a 20 second delay between getting the header graphic
> > and the image under the header, then another 20 seconds before the css is
> > loaded because as noted timers apply to the whole thread, not just
> between
> > specific elements of the tree. Obviously this isn't practical.
>

> Yes, timers are applied to all samplers in scope.
> If a timer is added to a controller, it will be added to all samplers
> beneath the controller.
>
> Oddly, when I record the script in BadBoy the response times are accurate.
> > But when experted to JMeter it still only picks up the parent html
> request
> > and the response times get markedly shorter (300ms as opposed to BB's 3.4
> > seconds). Why? Because the response time in BadBoy includes the time
> taken
> > to render the page in its browser window by retrieving all resources,
> > whereas JMeter - no matter which way I configure the main HTTP request -
> > still only makes a GET request to the parent html.
>

> JMeter does not process the Javascript nor render the page.
> Badboy does not do so either, but it does record what the browser does.
>
> Badboy and the JMeter Proxy perform similar functions.
>
> So when it comes to JMeter I can either get all the resources and abandon
> > the idea of putting in realistic pauses to simulate user activity, or
> just
> > get the parent page and a couple of extra elements but have realistic
> > timers. First option is the only one really.
>

> You can also add Test Action samplers to insert a pause wherever you want.

> > timing
> > >
> > > All timers/samplers etc apply to a whole thread.

> > > If you can live with a pause before the first sampler, then just put:
> > >
> > > Loop Controller
> > > + Timer
> > > + getPage1
> > > + getPage2
> > > + etc.

> of
> > > page
> > > timer
> > >
> > > That does not make sense.

> > > bunch
> > that
> > >
> > > I think you are misunderstanding how JMeter works.
> > >
> > > Each thread is intended to mimic a single user.
> > >
> > > Set up the test to represent what the user might do, then run multiple
> > > threads to simulate multiple independent users.
> > >
> > > Please may I suggest you re-read the manual?

Number of
> > > samples
> > > executing
> > into