jmeter-user mailing list archives

From James Hill <everywhere...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Grouping recorded requests
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2010 01:22:41 GMT
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/02/2010, James Hill <everywherenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, I could, if I knew anything about parsing the results with a script
> >  like perl or python. Unfortunately that's a tad beyond me at this stage.
> As
> >  the saying goes, when you're up to your arse in alligators it's hard to
> >  remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.
> >
> >  I've used the Simple Data Writer with default config to pump data out
> into a
> >  format I can then transform with XSLT. I can then import that XML into
> Excel
> >  and manipulate it there. Unfortunately the transaction controller
> creates
> >  its own entry with the response message of e.g. Number of samples in
> >  transaction : 59, number of failing samples : 0
> >
> >  Not to mention that the long running tests I envisage executing will
> produce
> >  data files larger than Excel can handle.
> >
> >  Anyway, talking to a developer now about loading the lot into a MySQL db
> >  which would give me the power of SQL queries to analyse the data perhaps
> >  little more easily.
>
> For long-running tests, create CSV files as they are much smaller than
> XML files.
>
> Also, most SQL implementations have command-line tools that allow one
> to easily populate databases from CSV files.

CSV is indeed an easier format to work with. The problem I had with this
format was mainly due to the Transaction controller. I had i set to generate
parent sample. This gave me timings for the overall thread, but not for the
individual components. This was less than ideal. So I've given each of the
requests within a transaction controller a unique prefix which should allow
me to put together meaningful queries once the data is dumpted to a DB.

When I added timers though everything goes out the window. Optimally, I'd
like to be able to pause between each transaction controller but JMeter
doesn't appear to allow this, inserting a delay between each request
instead. When a given page request results in multiple child requests the
timer inserts a delay between each of these child requests. Not what I want
considering I need to be able to look at the time for the entire page to be
loaded.

I think I may have to go without timings and hopefully extrapolate the user
load out e.g. 10 threads with no pauses = 30 threads with pauses. Or 300. No
idea how to do this though.