jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Fisher <a...@alexfisher.me.uk>
Subject Re: JMeter problem with redirects
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:43:00 GMT
On 4 February 2010 22:07, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/02/2010, Alexander Fisher <alex@alexfisher.me.uk> wrote:
>> On 4 February 2010 16:29, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > On 04/02/2010, Alexander Fisher <alex@alexfisher.me.uk> wrote:
>>  >> Hi
>>  >>
>>  >>  I'm trying to test a wicket application using JMeter.
>>  >>
>>  >>  JMeter doesn't seem to be following certain redirects in the same way
>>  >>  browsers do. Specifically, I was testing logging out of the
>>  >>  application.
>>  >>
>>  >>  The wicket code for this looks a bit like.
>>  >>
>>  >>  public class SignOutLink extends Link {
>>  >>  -SNIP-
>>  >>   @Override
>>  >>    public final void onClick() {
>>  >>        WicketAppSession.get().invalidate();
>>  >>        getRequestCycle().setRedirect(true);
>>  >>        setResponsePage(SignInPage.class);
>>  >>    }
>>  >>  }
>>  >>
>>  >>  The logout link is to a wicket encrypted URL which then redirects to
./
>>  >>
>>  >>  If I get a redirect to http://host/wicket-app/./ I get either a 404
or
>>  >>  a web server directory listing (if listings are enabled).
>>  >>  Entering the same URL into firefox I get the application's sign in
>>  >>  page (http://host/wicket-app/) as expected.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Is this a known issue, or something I can work around?
>>  >
>>  > What redirect options are you using?
>>  >
>>  > If you are using redirect automatically, then JMeter does not see any
>>  > redirects, and thus won't be able to process any cookies that might be
>>  > set during the process.
>>  > This is documented here:
>>  >
>>  > http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_Request
>>  >
>>  > Try "Follow redirects"; if that fails, you will have to add the URLs manually.
>>

>> I've tried both 'follow redirects' and 'redirect automatically'.
>>  I think it's just that the url returned in the 302 returns a different
>>  result when fetched using firefox, compared to JMeter.
>>
>>  Could it be that firefox automatically removes all dot-slashes
>>  ('./''s) from URLs before forming the request?
>>  Should JMeter mimic this behaviour?
>
> No idea.
>
> Please provide more details of what you expected to happen and what
> actually happened.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to help me.
Whilst writing this rather long winded post (concise emails not a
forte!), I think I've found the answer.
Somebody searching the archives might benefit, so I'll continue :)

I was trying to login to a wicket based webapp and then signout again.
It's my first use of JMeter, so I thought I'd start with this really
simple testcase.
The webapp uses wicket, so things are made a bit more complicated by
the dynamically generated urls,
but I think I've got that figured out using the regex extractor feature.

These are the rough steps.

1. Navigate to website. Assert that I'm actually there. Use the regex
extractor to find the URL for the sign in form.
2. Sign in, run another assertion then perform another regex extract
to get the sign out link url.
3. 'Click' signout link with url extracted from previous step and
assert that I'm back on the sign in page.

Everything works as expected when using a browser, but when using
jmeter the sign out 'click' lands on a 404 page.

The sign out link is to a URL such as
"?x=YwbAGQPpvT9MHF2-6S6FwvocqYPuA0B8WNUAt2TlZ9pH*NSINgi53u5hmLOyTe6xOBKzTV*kN0M",
wicket invalidates the session then returns a 302 with the new url set
to "./"

JMeter doesn't handle the "./" in the same way firefox does.
However, it turns out that it's not just JMeter.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-2600

Kind Regards,
Alex