jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Jatin Davey <jasho...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Effectively monitoring target resources with jmeter?
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 04:34:17 GMT
Hi Brett

I have one comment on one the difference that you have pointed out
between the existing project and the one that you have developed. On the
second point:

2. Can select which resource to monitor: mem / swap , cpu and load
parameters.

I am assuming that you are going to hard code the MIB parameters that
will be queried on the target machine to get the cpu,mem and other load
parameters. I would request you to make this generic , In the sense you
could take this value as an input. The user should be able to supply the
custom MIB parameter which he needs to monitor. I guess by doing so he
can monitor any MIB parameter that is supported on the target machine.
This can be useful in many ways. if it is done in this way then the user
could add any MIB parameter to be monitored and then using assertions
can validate the results against his own requirments.

Other things like accepting of custom community strings and implemtation
of snmpwalk functionality is certainly good to have.

Thanks
Jatin

On 2/25/2010 8:56 PM, Brett Cave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is already a project for monitoring SNMP:
> http://snmpjmeter.sourceforge.net/ which does a lot of what I was going to
> do.
>
> I basically isolated a handful of OID's, and was going to allow
> configuration of monitored resources based on this. I may still finish off
> SNMP plugin if  the existing project doesnt meet our needs.
>
> Differences between what i have so far and the existing one:
> 1. mine can currently accept custom community string (and easy to adapt for
> v3 snmp)
> 2. can select which resource to monitor: mem / swap, cpu and load
> parameters.
> 3. started working on snmpwalk type funtionality.
>
> feedback on this?
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Jatin Davey<jashokda@cisco.com>  wrote:
>

>> Hi Brett
>>
>> This feature of yours is really useful for monitoring of any device that
>> has snmp running on it. I would request you to please add a bugzilla
>> enhancement so that it is considered for addition into future releases of
>> JMeter.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin
>>

>> On 2/24/2010 11:25 PM, Brett Cave wrote:
>>

>>> MysqlCollector plugin added to JMeter wiki:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/MysqlCollectorPlugin (check
>>> attachments for the patch).
>>>
>>> Please excuse the lack of conforming to programming standards, I know
>>> theres
>>> a lot of bad things (tm) in there, if more experienced developers can give
>>> some advice / patches it could be a lot more useful. the core logic is
>>> there, and it works for our test plans.
>>>
>>> Have just finished the SNMP sampler, starting on the GUI....
>>>
>>> Any comments on streamlining development of this (I've started a
>>> sourceforge
>>> project for the mysql plugin, but need to be able to have drop-in
>>> functionality and run it as a project seperate from JMeter).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Brett

Ant task