jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best way to structure these load test requirements
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:23:29 GMT
On 24/02/2010, Brett Cave <brettcave@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>  >
>  > Yes, just add a Simple Data Writer to each thread group; use different
>  > file names.
>  >

> Ah, ok - I have been excluding any listeners from the test plan and starting
>  up with the -l parameter. This makes sense. I have also started writing a
>  MySQLListener for JMeter that will log to db rather than file, this will
>  make reporting substantially easier (post to follow soon on how to do this).
>

>  >
>  > >  What would be the most effective (from
>  > >  managing the test plans perspective) way to structure this?
>  >
>  > I'm not entirely clear how the test plans differ.
>  > If they are sufficiently similar that they can be parameterised, then
>  > the same plan can be used for different purposes. E.g. thread count
>  > and ramp-up could be defined using the __P() function, and the values
>  > passed in on the command-line, e.g.
>  >
>  > jmeter -n -t testplan.jmx -Jthreads=20 -ltestplan20.jtl -jtestplan20.log
>  >

> This is exactly what I am doing (using -G for global / distributed testing
>  instead of J), the biggest issue was the reporting. I am calling JMeter from
>  a bash script that runs as per cron schedule, so need to automate it as much
>  as possible.  The test plan is exactly the same for each test, so I would
>  like to have  1 siteNav test (instead of 2 of the same tests with different
>  thread group configuration). I was using -Gsoak.duration -Gsoak.threads
>  -Gstress.period -Gstress.threads as parameters for the 2 different modes, as
>  the scheduler is configured differently for each mode.
>
>  Thread group configuration similar to:
>  Stress test:
>  Threads: ${__P(stress.threads,500)}
>  Ramp-up: ${__P(stress.period,3600)}
>  Loop count: 1
>
>  Scheduler: disabled
>  # This consistently increases number of threads to stress.threads over
>  stress.period seconds.
>
>  Soak test:
>  Threads: ${__P(soak.threads,100)}
>  Ramp-up: 0
>  Loop: forever
>  Scheduler: Enabled
>  Start / End time: a range from far in the past to far in the future, i.e.
>  including any time the test may run.
>  Duration: ${__P(soak.duration,3600)}
>  # This kicks off at soak.threads number of threads immediately, and
>  maintains at this level for soak.duration seconds.
>
>  As you can see, the thread configuration is quite different, so I would like
>  to thread groups with these configurations pointing to the same sampler set
>  / test plan (don't think I can get this right with just variations on
>  parameters, have checked the XML of the test plans and structure is
>  different).
>
>  Will I have to use 2 different test plans, 1 for stress and 1 for soak, for

If the only difference is in the ThreadGroup settings, it should be
possible to use properties to control them all.

Try something like:

Threads: ${__P(threads)}
Ramp-up: ${__P(ramp_up)}
Loop count: ${__P(loops)}
StartDelay: ${__P(start_delay,0)}
Duration:${__P(duration,99999)}

You can add defaults for either of the run types.

Setting loops = -1 means forever.

If you don't want to stress the server, you can experiment using the
Java Request sampler.