jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Grouping recorded requests
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2010 01:42:49 GMT
On 12/02/2010, James Hill <everywherenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > On 11/02/2010, James Hill <everywherenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > Yes, I could, if I knew anything about parsing the results with a script
>  > >  like perl or python. Unfortunately that's a tad beyond me at this stage.
>  > As
>  > >  the saying goes, when you're up to your arse in alligators it's hard to
>  > >  remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.
>  > >
>  > >  I've used the Simple Data Writer with default config to pump data out
>  > into a
>  > >  format I can then transform with XSLT. I can then import that XML into
>  > Excel
>  > >  and manipulate it there. Unfortunately the transaction controller
>  > creates
>  > >  its own entry with the response message of e.g. Number of samples in
>  > >  transaction : 59, number of failing samples : 0
>  > >
>  > >  Not to mention that the long running tests I envisage executing will
>  > produce
>  > >  data files larger than Excel can handle.
>  > >
>  > >  Anyway, talking to a developer now about loading the lot into a MySQL db
>  > >  which would give me the power of SQL queries to analyse the data perhaps
>  > a
>  > >  little more easily.
>  >
>  > For long-running tests, create CSV files as they are much smaller than
>  > XML files.
>  >
>  > Also, most SQL implementations have command-line tools that allow one
>  > to easily populate databases from CSV files.
>  >

> CSV is indeed an easier format to work with. The problem I had with this
>  format was mainly due to the Transaction controller. I had i set to generate
>  parent sample. This gave me timings for the overall thread, but not for the
>  individual components. This was less than ideal. So I've given each of the
>  requests within a transaction controller a unique prefix which should allow
>  me to put together meaningful queries once the data is dumpted to a DB.
>
>  When I added timers though everything goes out the window. Optimally, I'd
>  like to be able to pause between each transaction controller but JMeter
>  doesn't appear to allow this, inserting a delay between each request
>  instead. When a given page request results in multiple child requests the
>  timer inserts a delay between each of these child requests. Not what I want
>  considering I need to be able to look at the time for the entire page to be
>  loaded.

Timers are applied before all samplers that are in scope.

There is also a Test Action sampler (which does not generate a sample)
and that can pause, or you can add a timer as a child.

These are documented in the manual ...

>  I think I may have to go without timings and hopefully extrapolate the user
>  load out e.g. 10 threads with no pauses = 30 threads with pauses. Or 300. No
>  idea how to do this though.

Decide what load you want to present to the server and work backwards
from there.

The Constant Throughput Timer can be useful here.

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Constant_Throughput_Timer

>  >
>  > >  I'll post anything I turn up that others might be able to use.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Deepak Shetty <shettyd@gmail.com>
>  > wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  > Hi
>  > >  > You could parse the result file or write an XSLT that could only count
>  > the
>  > >  > child sampler times.
>  > >  >  Again you shouldnt have to do this , the embedded resources should
>  > have
>  > >  > worked unless there is a bug that causes it to fail..
>  > >  > regards
>  > >  > deepak
>  > >  >
>  > >  > On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:44 PM, James Hill <everywherenet@gmail.com>
>  > >  > wrote:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > > Thanks Jean-Louis, perfectly clear and that was exactly what I
>  > needed :)
>  > >  > I
>  > >  > > also found that if I define my variables first e.g. serverName
then
>  > the
>  > >  > > field is automatically updated in the request created while
>  > recording.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > Only problem is that when I add timers of any kind to the controller
>  > this
>  > >  > > value is added into the total result. It's okay for a constant
timer
>  > as I
>  > >  > > can just subtract that value from the timings, but for variable
time
>  > >  > delays
>  > >  > > it's not possible.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > Cheers,
>  > >  > > James.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM, <
>  > jeanlouis.pasturel@orange-ftgroup.com
>  > >  > > >wrote:
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > >  With http proxy, if you prepare a test plan with empty
>  > Transactions
>  > >  > > > controllers, with the HTTP proxy you can group "pages" as
>  > transaction,
>  > >  > by
>  > >  > > > changing manually the transaction controller in the Target
>  > Controller
>  > >  > of
>  > >  > > > the
>  > >  > > > HTTP Proxy window. At the end of recording, the test plan
is ready
>  > (
>  > >  > > maybe
>  > >  > > > you have to add a cookie manager, if cookies are used)
>  > >  > > > Sorry for my English, i hope i am clear...
> [...]
I see an
>  > >  > entry
>  > >  > > > > for each individual piece of content on the page. Is
there any
>  > way to
>  > >  > > > > view the results in total i.e. rather than seeing individual
>  > response
>  > >  > > > > times for all elements I see an overall response time
for that
>  > entire
>  > >  > > > > page, the sum of all the elements?
>  > >  > > > >
>  > >  > > > > The simple controller is only that and it doesn't allow
me to
>  > get a
>  > >  > > > > timing result for it. I can't add the image/css/etc.
get
>  > requests as
>  > >  > > > > child nodes of the original homepage get request. I'm
a little
>  > >  > stumped
>  > >  > > > > as to how to do this.
>  > >  > > > >
>  > >  > > > >
>  > >  > > > > On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Deepak Shetty <
>  > shettyd@gmail.com>
>  > >  > > wrote:
>  > >  > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > >Note that if I set "Retrieve all embedded resources"
the
>  > image and
>  > >  > > > > > >.js requests aren't recorded.
>  > >  > > > > > Which is ok, JMeter will fetch all embedded resources
if this
>  > is
>  > >  > > > > > checked
>  > >  > > > > on
>  > >  > > > > > the recorded http samples
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > >The client needs to see how long it takes to
get the entire
>  > >  > > > > > >contents of
>  > >  > > > > a
>  > >  > > > > > >given page.
>  > >  > > > > > > i.e. so I see all the timings summed for the
elements?
>  > >  > > > > > a browser doesnt download all resources serially
in a single
>  > >  > thread.
>  > >  > > > > > Caching
>  > >  > > > > > also influences a lot of stuff, so this number is
actually
>  > quite
>  > >  > > > > > higher than the actual value.
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:10 PM, James Hill <
>  > >  > everywherenet@gmail.com>
>  > >  > > > > > wrote:
>  > >  > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > > Hi all.
>  > >  > > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > > I've set up JMeter to record via the proxy.
The following
>  > options
>  > >  > > > > > > are
>  > >  > > > > > > ticked:
>  > >  > > > > > > - redirect automatically
>  > >  > > > > > > - follow redirects
>  > >  > > > > > > - use keepalive
>  > >  > > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > > For grouping, I've selected "Add seperators
between groups"
>  > >  > > > > > >
>  > >  > > > > > > When I record via the browser JMeter grabs
everything. I
>  > needed
>  > >  > > > > > > do
>  > >  > > > > > this
>  > >  > > > > > > because otherwise it doesn't grab the javascript
on the page
>  > or
>  > >  > > > > > > the
>  > >  > > > > > images.
>  > >  > > > > > > The client needs to see how long it takes to
get the entire
>  > >  > > > > > > contents of
>  > >  > > > > a
>  > >  > > > > > > given page.
>  > >  > > > > > > Problem comes when I run the script. There's
an entry in the
>  > >  > > > > > > results
>  > >  > > > > file
>  > >  > > > > > > for every single element on a given page: js,
html, png,
>  > gif. Is
>  > >  > > > > > > it possible to summarise this data so that
I can view a