jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can JMeter handle 2K users of 30 mins web sessions?
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:16:53 GMT
On 04/02/2010, Tech Newbie <technb@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  I have read that document.  I have been using JMeter for my project
with good results.  However, I use the JavaSampler and not HTTPSampler.

>  Now another group in the company wants to evaluate JMeter for their web app.  Their
typical session would be 30 mins with 70+ pages.  Currently, they are running 2K concurrent
sessions.

Apache don't charge for evaluation (though of course contributions to
the foundation are gratefully received), so why not just try it on a
sample test plan and see what happens?

>  So I'd like to solicit comments from HTTPSampler users whether JMeter can scale to this
type of load.

It all depends: exact test plan, network config, host resources, etc.
so any advice given here can only be general.

>  Any insight is appreciated.

There are numerous discussions on this subject in the archives.

Note that a single JMeter thread can generate much higher load than a
single user.

Look at the load presented to the server in terms of requests/second
etc., and see if JMeter can generate that.