jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDBC Connection Configuration Queries
Date Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:42:57 GMT
The query fired is your validation query (and what is returned is what the
query specifies and whatever you specify in your query is what is
requested). In oracle you would probably have this as Select 1 from dual ,
in SQL server you can just have select 1 i.e. any dummy query that works. It
doesn't matter what the query returns, only that you don't get an exception.

regards
deepak

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Jatin <daveyjatin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Deepak
>
> Have a question based on your reply.
>
> 2. Validation Query:
>
> You said that the validation query would periodically fire a query to the
> DB. May i know what is the request that is sent as part of the query. Is it
> a query to retrieve any data. If so then what data is being retrieved. Can
> you provide more details on this.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin
>

> Deepak Shetty wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> 2. Validation query - This is normally used in pooling systems to check if
>> the connection maintained in the pool is still valid. Say you have a pool
>> of
>> 5 connections and the database is restarted , the connections would not be
>> valid anymore. The Pool implementation could periodically fire a query
>> (the
>> validation query), which would fail, and these connections would now be
>> discarded and the pool repopulated with connections.
>> As to max connection age Im not sure, if i had to guess then it this
>> parameter would be used to shrink the pool. Say your pool has increased to
>> 10 connections, after which no one has requested a connection for a pool
>> for
>> say 900 seconds (the max age). After this period the pool implementation
>> would discard the connection from the pool.
>>
>> regards
>> deepak
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 3:51 AM, Jatin <daveyjatin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> After reading the JMeter user manual on the JDBC connection configuration
>>> element i found that some of them are not explained there , Hence thought
>>> of
>>> googling them. I still could understand the functionality of the
>>> following
>>> parameters:
>>>
>>> 1. Max Connection Age (ms)
>>> 2. Validation Query  -- In the manual it is added Select 1 by default ,