jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Tech Newbie <tec...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: BeanShell's the only way to vary load?
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:44:40 GMT
Can you expand on how to "vary Constant Throughput Timer using
a function of say time or any other variable by writing custom code"?  I'm not aware of this
capability.  This will be most suitable for my use case.  Can you point me to some documentation
or example?

Thanks in advance.

--- On Tue, 12/1/09, Deepak Shetty <shettyd@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Deepak Shetty <shettyd@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: BeanShell's the only way to vary load?
To: "JMeter Users List" <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 11:10 PM

hi
Ill make an attempt to answer , though bear in mind that I dont have any
particular expertise in the topic you raise.

Since the Constant throughput timer can be varied within the test itself (as
a function of say time or any other variable by writing custom code) then I
would prefer that approach to doing it externally (however this is much less
flexible). Do you also need to distribute the tests to generate the load you
need (irrespective of the mechanism used to vary the load)? if so having a
self contained test is probably better.

What are you trying to model? A system can show different characteristics
for the same throughput. A user sending 100 requests in say 10 minutes may
not be the same as 10 users each sending 10 requests in 10 minutes. In the
latter case you are also looking to vary the number of active sessions
instead of just the throughput and probably having multiple thread groups
may be better.

And lastly you cant have a 'best' way unless you determine what parameters
are important to you. Is flexibility most important? runtime changes needed
depending on how the system behaves? is maintaining/managing the test more
important?
regards
deepak