jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Tech Newbie <tec...@yahoo.com>
Subject BeanShell's the only way to vary load?
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:30:03 GMT
Looking for "best practice" to vary load in non-gui mode.

I have a test plan that has a Constant Throughput Timer.  It is defined as a JMeter property
and a simple shell script passes in the property value on JMeter's startup.

I'd like to vary this load (bell-curve) over time (1 day).  I've read about the approach
using BeanShell server.  Is this the best way?  I'm hesitating about this because it's another
process to manage, in parallel with JMeter itself.

Other solutions I've comtemplated:

- Extend the simple shell script to invoke mutiple instances of JMeter, serially, with different
values for the Constant Throughput Timer.

- Create a test plan with multiple thread groups with different values for the Constant Throughput
Timer and have JMeter execute the thread group serially.

Please enlight me on the pros and cons.

Thanks.