jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Carl Shaulis <cshau...@homeaway.com>
Subject Re: Performance Test Setup for a web site...
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 14:54:38 GMT
Getting proportional scripts I can think of two approaches:
1.  Scrap a days worth of log files for all of the requests coming to your
application servers then replay these requests using JMeter
2.  Estimate what portion of your community does what, then use various
thread groups to emulate this traffic (Thread group one (ie-visit home page)
50%, ThreadGroup2 (ie. - Search) 40% etc...

Number of virtual threads really is dependent on a combination of your load
servers and your target.  For example we have a 16 core machine as a load
generator and a an equivalent machine supporting our application.  Using 100
concurrent threads and no sleeps the load machine was less than 10% CPU
utilization and the target machine was at 90% CPU utilization.  When then
cached a bunch of the requests and the target machine could respond faster
than the load machine so the Load machine CPU was stressed at the same
thread count, additionally we were almost at our bandwidth limits.  So
Deepak is spot on saying monitor machine resources.

We have had success using MySQL to inspect data, but we have also kept our
load times brief (5 minutes).  If using a linux box to collect your data you
can get a quick evaluation of throughput by using wc -l <filename> divided
by the test duration to give you TPS.

Good luck!

Carl