jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "David Levine" <david.lev...@keas.com>
Subject Is there a sampler that can read a tomcat log file?
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 01:06:38 GMT
Hi,

As part of my functional test, I'd like to assert that a particular line is present (or not
present) in the tomcat log file for my application.  After looking around at the available
samplers and other JMeter tricks, it doesn't look like there's a way to do this without writing
code and extending JMeter.  Am I correct or is there a way to do this?

OK, there's one kind of hacky way I thought of doing this, which is to write a web service
that returns the tomcat log as an XML document, and then use an HTTP Request along with an
XPath Extractor post processor, and look for the log line I'm looking for.  But that means
I'd have to send back the whole log file every time, which could be huge - so I don't like
that.

So I was thinking of writing a new sampler, called maybe the Tomcat Log Sampler, that let's
you specify a regex query for log lines that you're looking for, and then returns those as
XML, so that you can use the XPath Extractor to pull the log lines you're looking for into
a variable which you can then subsequently use.  The Tomcat Log Sampler would really just
be a proxy for a new web service I'd write, that would need to be running on the tomcat web
server.  The Tomcat Log Web Service would perform the actual query and return the results.
 That way it could scale.

OK, does this make any sense or am I way off somewhere?

David