jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance Test Setup for a web site...
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 07:13:54 GMT
>I will create Scripts which will hit the site pages proportional to there
usage
This isnt easy.

>- What should be the configuration of the machine which will simulate these
>- If more then one test machine is required please specify there
configuration?
>- How many instances of jMeter we need to run for simulating 5000 users?
My preference is Multiple low end machines running separate JMeter instances
to 1 big machine. It simulates the network better . The load you can
generate depends on what else is running and what your tests actually do.
People have reported running 1000 threads from a single machine. In any case
, you must generate a load and check your client machine resources ,
preferably the cpu shouldn't exceed 60-80% and memory used should all be RAM
not virtual. You can increase the number of threads till you hit some limit
after which the client machine may become a bottleneck and give you
incorrect results.
See related
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/HowManyThreads
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/best-practices.html#lean_mean
When running multiple jmeter instances you can either run each instance
separately (my preference) or you can run Jmeter  in master slave (this is
more inefficient , check the mail archives).

>How the result file output should be consolidated from various scripts? If
>someone is using any tool for consolidating the output files please share
>information regarding the same.
>- Is there any tool for converting these files to some reports. I have
heard
>that reports can be generated using some available xslt's in ant. But that
>does not work with large output files. So please suggest alternatives.
I assume you mean combining the results if you run jmeter instances
separately. if you use CSV as your format, just concatenate. Mostly if you
have long running tests , you would load the CSV files into a database
table. You have some listeners that can read the CSV/JTL files , but you'd
have to use a listener whose memory utlization is constant and not
proportional  to number of samples (e.g. summary report -
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html section
18.3).

regards
deepak