jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a sampler that can read a tomcat log file?
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 03:56:30 GMT
hi
while you might have a good reason for trying to access the tomcat logs ,
it's still seems to me,to be an overkill. If there is an error the status
code returned shouldn't be 200 (though of course some apps return a 200 code
page with an error message, but there is still some text that differentiates
an error from a normal success. And in most case's you should be able to
assert the text on a page response to validate that you were successful.

An equivalent problem that people run into sometimes is something like place
an order and they want to verify that there is an Order line in the
database. this is more simply solved if you had a page that retrieves orders
and you assert that the order is present there. What i'm trying to indicate
is that there *usually* is some way that the site itself can tell you
whether or not something went wrong. The other reasons against implementing
something tomcat specific is that it wont work for say jetty/weblogic. You
might have to change if you decide to log errors using log4j, you might run
into issues if you cluster tomcat without session pinning. So unless there
is absolutely no other way than reading the logs to determine success/
failure  I wouldn't do what you are planning.

regards
deepak

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 7:26 PM, David Levine <david.levine@keas.com> wrote:

> Thanks Deepak, you always have very thoughtful replies.
>
> I'm trying to make sure that a particular functional path through JMeter
> results in particular lines in the tomcat log file.  I also want to make
> sure a particular functional path results in no ERRORS being logged in the
> tomcat log file.  Your idea about writing a service that just returns the
> log lines I want is pretty much what I was thinking of doing, only I was
> thinking of writing a custom sampler to wrap up the service.  It's a lot
> less work to do just what you're suggesting though.
>
> If anyone else would find this web service useful for your JMeter test, let
> me know and I'll post the source somewhere.
>
> David

>>> for the log line I'm looking for.  But that means I'd have to send back