jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Alexandru Rotaru <alex.rot...@altom.ro>
Subject JMeter ResponseTime >> Browser ResponseTime
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:34:47 GMT
Hi all,

I'm running some simple tests using Jmeter 2.3.4:
1. connect to the website home page
2. go to the login page
3. log into the website

My test plan looks like this:
+ HTTP Cookie Manager
+ HTTP Cache Manager
+ HTTP Request Defaults  ("Retrieve all embedded resources from html
files" is ticked)
+ Thread Group (repeat 1 thread for 10 times)
	- HTTP Request HomePage-Get
	- HTTP Request LoginPage-Get
	- HTTp Request LoginPage-Post
+View Results Tree

The response times for the Get requests are:

	HomePage - Get -> First run ~ 16.5 seconds, Next 9 runs ~ 9.3 seconds
	LoginPage - Get -> First run ~ 14.5 seconds, Next 9 runs  ~  9.3
seconds

If I run the same steps in a browser, I get the following results:
	HomePage - Get -> First time (nothing is cached) <10 seconds, Next
runs < 3 seconds
	LoginPage - Get -> less than 2 seconds

I ran the same tests using the HttpClient sampler, and got similar
result.
I ran the test both in GUI and non-GUI mode, and the results were
similar.

I was expecting to see a time difference between the browser and
Jmeter, but the other way around (Jmeter time < Browser time) as the
browser does also Java Script interpretation, page rendering ...

I've been looking through the mailing archive, and found out about
YSlow and TamperData, and the Browser times I manually recorder
resemble the ones from these apps.

Is there a way to measure the server response times using JMeter, and
getting results close to real usage?

Thanks,
Alex