jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Tech Newbie <tec...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ThreadGroup start and end time in date format
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 20:51:25 GMT
The use case I'm trying to cover is "Let's run the test at 2am tonight".  If a SimpleDateFormat
is supported, then it's a bit more intuitive to pass in a human readable date than the calculated
the difference (number of seconds) between now and 2am or the Unix Epoch time.

Let me know if I'm missing something.

--- On Mon, 10/5/09, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

From: sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ThreadGroup start and end time in date format
To: "JMeter Users List" <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 7:32 PM

On 05/10/2009, Tech Newbie <technb@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification.  So I am curious as to how to define a specific start
time (as opposed to "now") in non-gui mode from a shell script..  I have managed to leverage
the unix date command and calculated the epoch in ms that way, but it's a bit clunky, relying
on the correct date format.  Then I passed the calculated epoch into JMeter as a property
defined in my test plan.

?

>   I was hoping there is something similar to a "--date" command line option accepting
a SimpleDateFormat.

>  Just want to make sure I didn't miss an obvious or more straight-forward solution.

If you can easily calculate the time difference, why not use a
property to define the startup delay, and pass that in instead?

time in the test plan (i.e. not in the gui).
>  >  >
>  >  >  In my test plan:
>  >  >          <longProp name="ThreadGroup.start_time">1243889520000</longProp>
>  >  >          <longProp name="ThreadGroup.end_time">1243889499000</longProp>
>  >  >
>  >  >  Can I use string for SimpleDateFormat instead?
>  >
>  >  Not when using XML format. However, in CSV format you can, see
>  >
>  >  jmeter.save.saveservice.timestamp
>  >
>  >  >  --- On Fri, 10/2/09, Tech Newbie <technb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  >  From: Tech Newbie <technb@yahoo.com>
>  >  >  Subject: ThreadGroup start and end time in date format
>  >  >  To: jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org
>  >  >  Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 5:37 AM
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  Is it possible to specify thread group start and end time in SimpleDateFormat
instead of epoch?  Similar to how result timestamps support both formats.