jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Speteanu <asp.ad...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do Jmeter Support Java Script calls..?
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:02:06 GMT
Guess I am going to have taking a serious look at BSH / Java in JMeter.

In Raj's case, if Jmeter scripts are difficult to write, and it is
hard to test for scalability, I would try running Selenium scripts on
more machines (if possible to organize such a test where he works),
during the evening, at workstations left open by colleagues.

When all tests are running simultaneously, from another test machine I
would verify from a user's point of view how the server is responding
to see if the tabs are the problem indeed.

With Firebug, for example, you or the developer can see during
realtime use of the application what sequences run slower than others
/ what needs optimizing so you could identify some bottlenecks (the
NET panel shows the load times on this machine).
BTW: Any objections to this rudimentary method? (*Note: I am only
looking for bottlenecks with this test and is my last resort).

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Deepak Shetty<shettyd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>However what I think the op wants to do is performance
>>test loading each tab, which is implemented in client side code
>>(javascript).
> Yep , I was replying to adrian.
> I agree with the rest of your points.
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Tony Lotts <tljmeter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Deepak is right.  However what I think the op wants to do is performance
>> test loading each tab, which is implemented in client side code
>> (javascript).
>> The performance of executing client side code is based upon the user's own
>> machine, and browser; which is irrelevant to web application scalability
>> and
>> thus not served by JMeter.
>>
>> In this case you may want to deliver a comparison of tab navigation across
>> each of your supported browsers, reporting the baseline hardware that the
>> test was conducted with.
>> However unless the tab navigation is a suspect of a poorly performing
>> implementation, it's not worth investigation.

>> > I ran into this problem recently and decided to write java code that
>> > simulated what the function does (generating complex XML from variables ,
>> > dynamic field names etc..). If I'm interested in testing functionality
>> that
>> > is browser/javascript dependent I normally use selenium (or QTP). Its far
>> > more difficult to get any accuracy of browser render or script execution
>> > times , considering the various hardware configurations that can exist.

>> > If it's using HTTP it must work (the applet however could do other
>> stuff),
>> > You'd probably need to use a network sniffer tool like Wireshark and
>> > verify.
>> > In any case what an applet can do(in terms of client-server
>> communication)
>> > ,
>> > you can do in Java/BSH.
>> > regards