jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to generate a load of Y number of users using only X number of actual login accounts? (Where X<Y)
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 16:40:38 GMT
As Deepak wrote, you are not really testing the server under the
correct conditions.

To test a server properly, you need to simulate both the number of
concurrent (active) sessions as well as the typical page request rate.

So, first you need to establish what load you want to generate: what
is the maximum number of concurrent sessions, what is a typical usage
scenario and what is the page request rate.

Each concurrent session needs a separate thread.
Each thread should include a typical usage scenario including pauses.

If you really want to test 500 concurrent sessions, then you will need
to use 500 threads.

However, if you want to test 500 sessions over the period of an hour,
then use as many threads as there will be concurrent sessions, and run
multiple loops of each thread, so as one session ends, another will be
started.

Of course if you just want to see how the server reacts to the request
load, regardless of the session load, then you can make do with fewer
threads, and you can increase the request rate by reducing the wait
time.

If the server fails to handle the desired load with only a single
session, then you have a problem.

If the server handles the load with a single session, then you still
need to test with the desired session load.