jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDBC Connection Config
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 10:37:01 GMT
On 04/05/2009, C.Vijayakumar <bcvijayakumar@altechindia.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebb / Matt ,
>
>  Am using JMeter for Load testing our Java application . I have some doubts
>  on using JMeter . Could you please help me to solve my doubts pls ?
>
>  My Tuning Parameters are as follows
>
>  set HEAP=-Xms512m -Xmx1024m
>  set NEW=-XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m
>  set SURVIVOR=-XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=50%
>  set TENURING=-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=2
>  set EVACUATION=-XX:MaxLiveObjectEvacuationRatio=20%
>  set RMIGC=-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=600000
>  -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=600000
>  set PERM=-XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
>  set DEBUG=-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution
>

>  I have defined the Heap size as 512 - 1024  & My RAM size is 512 MB . I have
>  run my Test Plan using JDBC Connection configuration for 3964 concurrent
>  users successfully .  If I use more than 4000 Users , JMeter shows Out of
>  Memory error . Even if i tried running the test plan by changing the Heap
>  size as 256 - 1024 , 768 - 1536 & 512 - 512 , there is no improvement on my
>  concurrent users , still am getting Out of memory error message
>
>  I tried the same test plan in another system which has 1 GB RAM , But in
>  that system,   Only 2000 concurrent users have successfully completed and I
>  got the same Out of Memory error .
>
>  Could anyone / you please reveal me what I have to do to get proper results
>  for more than 5000 Concurrent users ?

That's a lot of users. Are you sure you need to test with so many?
Remember that JMeter can put a lot more load on a server than a real
user, unless you include appropriate wait times.

If you really need to test with that many users, then use non-GUI
mode, and run the same test in parallel on several different hosts,
then combine the results.

Also, depending on your OS, 1GB is not very much memory for such a
large number of users.

See also:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/best-practices.html#lean_mean

JMeter distributed mode (client-server) is unlikely to help here, as
the JMeter client and network are likely to become a bottle-neck.