jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Noel O'Brien" <nobr...@newbay.com>
Subject Re: Response Time of Http Request
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:49:33 GMT
On Wednesday 22 April 2009 11:29:04 linuxos wrote:
> I don't know why the HTTP Request Samples are started randomly. So, I guess
> waiting time is included in the "Load time" or "Latency", and I can't
> calculate the actual time used between the request and response.

What do you mean "started randomly"?

AFAIK, for the HTTP Sampler the load time is the time taken to establish a
connection (retrying if necessary), send the request and receive the entire
response.

How do you define "Waiting Time"? If you mean delays caused by saturated
networks and/or processing time on the server side, there's no way to measure
that independently; it's included both the load and latency time.

> Also, I found the "Load time" is very similar to the "Latency"!

I've found that in most cases latency is equal to load time, because my
product sends back small response payloads, which are received by JMeter as
the one and only response packet for the request send.

If in doubt, use Wireshark / tcpdump to sniff the network data. You'll be able
to see from the timestamps in the wireshark dump when packets were sent