jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to use CACHE MANAGER
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 02:29:45 GMT
On 06/03/2009, wenqatesh <wenqatesh@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>  Could anyone tell me how to use http COOKIE AND http CACHE manager.

The Cookie Manager is used for Managing Cookies, see:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_Cookie_Manager

Ditto Cache Manager:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_Cache_Manager

>  I have used CACHE manager in the thread group level and as a child to the
>  http request.i found that the second option(as a child to the http sample)
>  gives me very less response time.

Is the Cache Manager added as a child of the thread group?

Are you sure this is repeatable (and not just a one-off occurrence)?

>  if any one has any idea on why and how this happens,pls share with me.

If the Cache Manager detects a match, it will add If-Last-Modified and
If-None-Match conditional headers to the request. This will speed up
the response if true, as the response will be much smaller.

I would expect the Cache Manager to have less effect when added as a
child of a single HTTP sampler, because it will only apply to that
sampler, whereas when added to the thread group it will apply to all
HTTP samplers, so should allow more cache hits to occur.

Use the Tree View Listener to check the responses.