jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unable to record test using HTTP Proxy Server
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 01:55:46 GMT
On 09/03/2009, Raj Dev <torajdev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently, I have tried with IE and Mozilla, but both returning the same
>  issue. On Mozilla (3.0.7), its returning following error:
>

>  java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
>
>         at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
>
>         at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(Unknown Source)
>
>         at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(Unknown Source)
>
>         at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(Unknown Source)
>
>         at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
>
>         at org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSampler.sample(HTTPSampler.java:431)
>         at org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java:1021)
>         at org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.proxy.Proxy.run(Proxy.java:195)

That suggests that the browser is using the JMeter Proxy recorder, but
JMeter cannot access the external site.

> I have one question (may be weird), if we set the browser to "Manual Proxy
>  Setting" and tell it to listen on particular port (I have set it to 9090),

The browser does not "listen" on a port, it connects to a port.

>  then how the HTTP Proxy Server of JMeter (which listens at 9090) configured
>  to reach to external site?
>
>  The whole idea of HTTP Proxy Server, is to access an external site. In the
>  browser, we have set it to listen to the port on which JMeter is configured,
>  but we have not configured JMeter to access the external site!! Is my
>  assumption correct?

Are you saying that you need to use an HTTP Proxy to access external sites?

If so, then you need to tell JMeter to do so:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/get-started.html#proxy_server