jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Encoded UTF16 json response
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 03:09:03 GMT
On 05/03/2009, Troy Harris <troy.harris.oz@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/5 sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
>

>  > On 02/03/2009, Troy Harris <troy.harris.oz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > Hi,
>  > >
>  > >  Im having trouble viewing a Response which is chunked UTF-16. View
>  > results
>  > >  tree displays encoded text which I cant use.
>  >
>  > I doubt that the chunking makes any difference.
>  >
>  > JMeter uses Java HTML document to display the response. I don't know
>  > if it can handle UTF-16.
>  >
>  > >  If I Save Response to a file it appears as
>  > >  expected in notepad (notepad++ displays NUL after
>  > >  each character).
>  >
>  > That's not proof that the contents are OK - do you not have an
>  > application that can display the data properly?
>  >

> Yes, the browser - FF/IE7. Once this page hits the browser the jqGrid loads
>  with data.

So does it display correctly if the browser uses the copy downloaded
using "Save Response to a file"?

You may need to save the HTML page and edit it to retrieve the data locally.

This would show if the data is downloaded OK, i.e. the problem is
purely that the Tree View Listener cannot handle UTF-16.

By the way, which Response Data pane option were you using?

Show Text/Render HTML/Render XML/Render JSON ?

Do some work and not others?

>  > >  Am I missing a config option to allow the UTF-16 reponse to be
>  > displayed?
>  >
>  > No.
>  >
>  > >  Should I be able to extract a variable out of the saved file even though
>  > its
>  > >  UTF-16?
>  >
>  > No, you cannot extract variables out of saved files - UTF-16 or otherwise.
>  >
>  > However, you should be able to extract variables out of the response data.
>  >
>  > >
>  > >  Response headers:
>  > >  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>  > >  Cache-Control: private
>  > >  Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>  > >  Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-16
>  > >  Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0
>  > >  X-AspNet-Version: 2.0.50727
>  > >  Set-Cookie:
>  > >
>  >  SecurityToken=etlwabVmCrGZDZU0Ix+Re1oUhBmHlZFQDDKrVO68Pd5tdqT2HgkEEyaiBR2UyKiL;
>  > >  expires=Mon, 02-Mar-2009 05:55:06 GMT; path=/
>  > >  X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
>  > >  Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 05:35:05 GMT
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  Thanks for your help.
>  >
>  > Is there a publically accessible page that returns data encoded in this
>  > way?
>  >

> Not at the moment, software is in development stage.
>

>  >
>  > Does JMeter work OK for you if the encoding is set to UTF-8 (assuming
>  > that there are such pages on the server under test)?
>  >

> I have the Developers changing the reponse to UTF-8 in the next build so
>  hopefully
>  the issue wont occur. I'll update the post then.

OK, unless the pages really need UTF-16 it is probably better to use
UTF-8 as the pages will usually be somewhat smaller.