jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Far future Expires header and HTTP Cache Manager
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:40:22 GMT
On 12/02/2009, Chris Copeland <chris@cope360.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I use a far future Expires header for static content in my web
>  application (technique described at
>  http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/apache-speed-expires.html).

As it says, that site is not supported or endorsed by the ASF.

The Expires date should not be more than 1 year in the future:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.21

[The example on the askapache web-site has a date of "15 Apr 2010"
which is currently more than a year hence.]

>  I am using the HTTP Cache Manager in my test plan to simulate the
>  browser cache.  From the documentation this component only supports
>  cache management base on Last-Modified and Etag headers.  My tests
>  also confirm that Jmeter loads the content on each iteration.
>
>  Is there a technique I can use with Jmeter or the HTTP Cache Manager
>  to simulate browser cache behavior with far future Expires headers?

The Cache Manger does not look at Expires headers, and is currently
designed to return the appropriate conditional headers. It does not
support skipping the sample altogether.

I don't think that this can be changed without writing Java code.

Feel free to raise an enhancement request for the Cache Manager to
handle Expires headers. If so, it would be helpful to provide details
of a publicly accessible server that can be used to test any changes.