jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Ragini Thakur" <ragi...@cybage.com>
Subject JMeter unable to initiate desired number of threads per minute
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 12:20:03 GMT
We are using JMeter for performance testing of the application/server.
Our aim is to initiate X number of requests per minute and record the
response time of the request calls, at different load conditions i.e. we
send the fixed number of the requests per minute and record the response
time. To control the number of requests (users) initiation per minute,
we have used the 'Constant Throughput Timer' in JMeter test plan.

To increase the load step by step, we use the 'Number of Threads
(users)' parameter under 'Thread Group' at JMeter GUI. At small value of
threads (160, 264, 784 etc), JMeter can successfully initiate and record
the all calls in a minute for a tests of duration 2 hours. But at large
value of threads like 1560, JMeter is not able initiate all calls per
minute. JMeter can initiate and record only about 1100 to 1200 calls per
minute throughout the test of 2 hours.

E.g. If we configure the number of threads to 1560 [ distributed across
different thread groups in test plan]

We observed that for first minute JMeter is able to initiate 1560
requests but, second minute onwards the number of requests initiated
goes on decreasing i.e. 1100 0r 1200 requests per minute are initiated.

As per our understanding the number of requests imitated after first
minutes are dependent on the response from the server as thread waits
for the response before initiating next request. Can this dependency be
removed?

Otherwise, Is there any way  to tune JMeter to initiate desire number of
calls per minute? What are those tuning parameters.

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Note: We are using JMeter distributed testing [ One master and 4 Slaves]

Regards,
Ragini Thakur

"Legal Disclaimer: This electronic message and all contents contain information from Cybage
Software Private Limited which may be privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from
disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an
addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error please notify the sender
by reply e-mail to and destroy the original message and all copies. Cybage has taken every
reasonable precaution to minimize the risk of malicious content in the mail, but is not liable
for any damage you may sustain as a result of any malicious content in this e-mail. You should
carry out your own malicious content checks before opening the e-mail or attachment."
www.cybage.com