jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMeter unable to initiate desired number of threads per minute
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:44:20 GMT
On 09/01/2009, Ragini Thakur <raginit@cybage.com> wrote:
> We are using JMeter for performance testing of the application/server.
>  Our aim is to initiate X number of requests per minute and record the
>  response time of the request calls, at different load conditions i.e. we
>  send the fixed number of the requests per minute and record the response
>  time. To control the number of requests (users) initiation per minute,
>  we have used the 'Constant Throughput Timer' in JMeter test plan.
>

>  To increase the load step by step, we use the 'Number of Threads
>  (users)' parameter under 'Thread Group' at JMeter GUI. At small value of
>  threads (160, 264, 784 etc), JMeter can successfully initiate and record
>  the all calls in a minute for a tests of duration 2 hours. But at large
>  value of threads like 1560, JMeter is not able initiate all calls per
>  minute. JMeter can initiate and record only about 1100 to 1200 calls per
>  minute throughout the test of 2 hours.
>

>  E.g. If we configure the number of threads to 1560 [ distributed across
>  different thread groups in test plan]
>

>  We observed that for first minute JMeter is able to initiate 1560
>  requests but, second minute onwards the number of requests initiated
>  goes on decreasing i.e. 1100 0r 1200 requests per minute are initiated.
>

>  As per our understanding the number of requests imitated after first
>  minutes are dependent on the response from the server as thread waits
>  for the response before initiating next request. Can this dependency be
>  removed?
>

>  Otherwise, Is there any way  to tune JMeter to initiate desire number of
>  calls per minute? What are those tuning parameters.
>

>  Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
>

>  Note: We are using JMeter distributed testing [ One master and 4 Slaves]

With large numbers of threads the master JMeter can become overloaded,
as can the network. Try using multiple non-GUI test runs instead.

>  Regards,
>  Ragini Thakur
>

>  "Legal Disclaimer: This electronic message and all contents contain information from
Cybage Software Private Limited which may be privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected
from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not
an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error please notify the
sender by reply e-mail to and destroy the original message and all copies. Cybage has taken
every reasonable precaution to minimize the risk of malicious content in the mail, but is
not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any malicious content in this e-mail.
You should carry out your own malicious content checks before opening the e-mail or attachment."