jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Pieter P <pie...@porthome.nl>
Subject Limit concurrent number of threads using Constant Throughput Timer?
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:39:15 GMT

Hello,

I'm using JMeter 2.3.2 to functionally test my web server.

I have defined one Thread Group that uses a .CSV file to execute 3000
different test cases. Each test case sends an XML file over HTTPS (using a
sampler) and parses the response. Some test cases take 90 seconds to execute
by the webserver, and some test cases only 0.5 seconds.

The problem is that the web server starts malfunctioning if it handles more
than 50 concurrent transactions. The number 50 is configured, but cannot be
changed because of other requirements.

I have set the number of Threads to 3000 and the ramp up period to 3000
seconds. Since some test cases require 90 seconds to execute, more than 50
transactions will be executed concurrently at some time, causing the web
server to malfunction.

What I would like to achieve is to limit the amount of concurrent HTTPS
connections to my webserver.

I have read that the Constant Throughput Timer can be used to create
time-waits based on other variables than transaction-throughput, for example
based in the amount of currently running threads. I could not figure out how
to implement this, though..

Is it possible to limit the amount of concurrent HTTPS connections using a
Constant Throughput Timer in the Thread Group? Do different solutions
exists?