jmeter-user mailing list archives

From GeeTee <guns_n_mai...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: Jmeter crashes with "swap space" error for us
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2009 03:21:00 GMT

Hi sebb,

Thanks for your response. Following are the details:

>>What is the exact Java error message?
>>AFAIK,"swap space" is an OS error rather than a JVM error.

Exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 36052328 bytes for
promotion.
Out of swap space?

This is shown on the console launched by jmeter.bat. Please let me know how
I can see the JVM error.

>>Ramp-up should not be set as low as this or JMeter may have problems
starting.

Okay. So what is the minimum ramp up that we should set? We had been asked
to load test for 800 users accessing the online service simultaneously. As
such we had set up 8 instances of JMeter on different systems and had 100
users with 1 sec. ramp up on each (Please note that this was one of the
tests on which more than 10 MB of file upload would cause swap space error
for 30 users or more). Please provide your inputs on how we should have
proceeded.

>> What errors are these?
These error are not of one common nature. But most of them were due to
"Regular Expression Extractor" not being able to extract the data from
previous response. This happened on running 35 threads from 2 systems
controlled by a single server. For heavier loads (70 users from 2 machines
controlled by a single server) I did not see the response as I had disabled
the "View Results Tree" listener as it is quite memory intensive, and
instead used "Aggregate Graph" listener. I did not log the results.

Just to add to my previous post, we have seen this problem only with scripts
that upload a file to the online service server. For other services, that do
not upload anything and rather just hit the various servlets / JSPs, we have
not seen this error.

Thanks again for the help.
Gaurav