jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "PAULO LOURENCO (RE-ESI-Workflow)" <paulo.loure...@esi.pt>
Subject completely different time responses
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:52:29 GMT
Greetings!

First of all, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Paul and I have been working with JMeter,
roughly for the past 2 months. It has been an interesting ride, especially after discovering
the BeanShell component :-)

Anyway, let me get down to the important stuff. Today I discovered something that is worrying
me to a certain degree and I'll try to explain:

-          I have a JMeter script that is being used to test the responsiveness of a web site
of mine. The web site basically: 1) controls access using a login page; 2) presents a dynamically
built list of tickets; 3) the user opens a ticket (a form, but doesn't process anything in
the form); 4) closes the ticket.

-          My objective is to determine the time spent in each of these 4 steps.

I added various methods (just out of curiosity to ensure that the values are always the same
no matter which component I use) to determine the time in each sampler: an Aggregate Report
Listener, Simple Data Writer and I'm also using BeanShell (using the SampleResult.getTime();
method).

I'm executing the tests using two different approaches: via JMeter GUI and non-GUI JMeter
call in the command line.

Now here's the interesting part: if I run the test from within JMeter GUI I receive two different
sets of results, depending on whether the Aggregate Report is enabled or not. Every test I
run with Aggregate Report Listener enabled gives me response times on average 2 seconds faster
then with the Aggregate Report Listener Disabled.

Has anyone experienced such behaviour? Obtaining considerably different response times depending
on whether a particular component is active or not...

I'm completely available to better explain this scenario in case I haven't made it clear.

Thanks in advance for any answer on this one!

Regards,

Paulo Lourenço