jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: thread group thread behavior
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:06:37 GMT
On 05/12/2008, kirk <kirk.pepperdine@gmail.com> wrote:
> sebb wrote:
>
> > On 05/12/2008, kirk <kirk.pepperdine@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi sebb,
> > >
> > >  These are actualy jsessionid's. For the test I used 2 samplers in the
> > > thread with only 3 threads. I was looking for the information in the
> tree
> > > listener and it correlated with what the server was saying.
> > >

> > I don't know for certain how jsession ids are passed from client to
> > server. Assuming that this is done via cookies, then JMeter will only
> > send the cookie if there is a Cookie Manager and the cookie matches
> > the domain. Cookies are stored by the Cookie Manager for the local
> > thread only, so each thread can have the same cookie name with
> > different values.
> >
> > If "Clear Cookies each iteration" is selected, then cookies will be
> > cleared at the start of each iteration of the parent container -
> > usually the Thread Group.
> >
> > The cookie is intially stored on receipt of a Set-Cookie: header.
> >
> > The server is free to provide whatever cookies it wishes. It may
> > generate a new cookie each time it sees a request without a cookie
> > (e.g. that is what Google seems to do), or it may require a login.
> >

>  I'm using Jetty and it assigns a new jsession every time one is not passed
> to it. That works very well. If the cookie manager is put into the test
> plan, the jsession id is passed to jetty and it does not assign a new one.
> That is evident by my testing.

However, it should allocate a new cookie every time the Cookie Manager
parent controller loops.

> > >  What I was really hoping for was a new session id for each thread at
> the
> > > restart of the loop. That didn't seem to happen even though the clear
> > > cookies flag was set.
> > >

> > In that case, either there is a JMeter bug (AFAIK, 2.3.2 Cookie
> > Manager is working OK), or the server must be resending the same
> > cookie to JMeter.
> >

>  I'll vote JMeter problem although it may not be a bug per say. The fact
> that all sessions that don't have a jsession id are assigned one and that
> one is always sent by JMeter even with the clear cookies box ticked suggests

I've not seen that - are you sure cookies are being sent after being cleared?

>  that maybe cookies are cleared by jsession isn't. If that doesn't happen,
> jmeter, tomcat and like will use the same session unless the application
> over-rides with it's own cookies.
>

> > >  When looking for why that was happening I noted that
> > > only one thread was being worked which made my test even worse.
> > >

> > I assume you are referring to a server thread.
> >

>  No, the JMeter threading.

That's probably due to the Throughput Controller.

> From the output you can see that requests
> received by the  server were almost completely dominated by a single
> jsession id. This implies that one thread in JMeter was responsible for most
> of the load on the server. If there were a way to clear the jsession id,
> that wouldn't matter. However.....

Which can well be the case if that's what the Throughput Controller
has been told to do ...

> > > Not having a
> > > cookie manager cases the server to react as expected in that there is a
> new
> > > jsession assigned to each sampler request. I'm using the latest release.
> > >

> > Do you mean 2.3.2?
> >

>  yes, and I tried it in a couple of previous versions also. The behavior was
> the same.

The Throughput Controller has not changed in a while, though the
documentation has been updated.