jmeter-user mailing list archives

From David Smith <dsm...@intersectdigital.com>
Subject RE: Will flash be downloaded in HTTP get request?
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:15:09 GMT
Thanks a lot Sebb, that's a big help. One more question: can you tell me how would I verif,
by running a test as you mention, what was downloaded through HTML embedding?  What sort of
test would I run?  I can't seem to find anything in the documentation about that, but if this
is really dumb I apologize.

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:29 PM
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: Will flash be downloaded in HTTP get request?

On 11/11/2008, David Smith <dsmith@intersectdigital.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody, I'm trying to figure out if jmeter is going to be a fit for my web project.
 The pages for our project in general have a flash component, as well as AJAX, CSS, etc.
My question is, will jmeter download that flash component as well?  I've included what I can
find in the manual, at usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_Request, but it doesn't mention
flash specifically, and "external scripts" isn't very specific.  Any ideas?  Of course I don't
need it to run the flash, but it's not going to tell me what my user load on the server is
unless it downloads the junk at least.  Thanks!

>  David
>
>  18.1.2 HTTP Request
>  This sampler lets you send an HTTP/HTTPS request to a web server. It also lets you control
whether or not JMeter parses HTML files for images and other embedded resources and sends
HTTP requests to retrieve them. The following types of embedded resource are retrieved:

>   *   images
>   *   applets
>   *   stylesheets
>   *   external scripts

That means <script href="etc"/> as opposed to inline scripts (which
are part of the page).

>   *   frames
>   *   background images (body, table, TD, TR)
>   *   background sound

As far as I know it will download the flash - I think it's a bit like an applet.
I suggest you try it with a simple test.
If the flash is not picked up as part of the embedded resources, then
you can always add a separate sample to download it. This would be
necessary if the flash is downloaded by Javascript (e.g. body onLoad()
method).

You can use the JMeter Proxy to record a browser session.

Note that JMeter does not support asynchronous requests within a
thread, so all items are downloaded in sequence (and you will need to
add AJAX calls yourself, or record the browser doing it), so the order
of requests seen by the server will not be the same as when a
particular browser makes the requests. But then different browsers
behave differently.

What's important is to make sure the test plan generates the
appropriate mix of requests at the desired rate.