jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Anthony Chadszinow <achadszi...@squiz.net>
Subject Re: creating simple GUI with JMeter functionalities
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:02:04 GMT
Hi Frank,

I don't know about GUI's but you could pretty much achieve the same
functionality with batch programming/bash script, Jmeter CLI mode using
parameters and having Jmeter setup to log results to a CVS file then
having a spreadsheet which could pull the results in and graph them the
way you want.

I'm no expert with the last step but it's definitely possible to write a
batch/bash script which users could execute & ask questions and then
trigger Jmeter CLI with the answers passed to it.

Batch example for triggering jmeter passing in a variable which is good
for Windoz -
CALL jmeter_ap\bin\jmeter.bat -n -t test_plan.jmx -Jthreads=%thread_count%

Bash script example which is good for Linux/OSX
jmeter -n -t matrix_tests/Load_testing_v0.3_working.jmx
-Jthreads=$thread_count

So that's triggering Jmeter in your script.  Asking the questions you'll
have to do your research on.  I don't have an example lying around but
it's definitely possible in both batch and bash scripts.  In batch
programming I think CHOICE is a Vista feature that can be used.  There
are also batch helper programs which enhance the capabilities of batch
programs [or at least there was back around 1994 when I was first
playing with batch programs].

Bash ask question example -
echo -ne "How many threads? "
read threadcount

In Jmeter to get the value of a property like thread count you would do
this ${__P(thread_count)}

Logging to results to file is just settings in the operator.

I used CALL in the batch program example so execution would return to
the batch program after jmeter closes.  At this step you might want to
copy the results somewhere or even open up Excel with the results in it
automatically.

I know this isn't exactly what you are after so if it helps then great
and if it doesn't then good luck.

Chad

--
Anthony Chadszinow
MySource Classic Lead Developer

Squiz
92 Jarrett St Leichhardt, Sydney NSW, Australia 2040
t:    13000 SQUIZ ( Support )
t:    8507 9900 / 1300 130 661
f:    8507 9988
w:    www.matrix.squiz.net
w:    www.squiz.net

Sydney  |  Melbourne  |  Canberra  |  Hobart  |  Wellington  |  London

Open Source  - Own it  -  Squiz.net

IMPORTANT:This email (and any attachments) is commercial-in-confidence and
or may be legally privileged and must not be forwarded, copied or shared
without express permission from Squiz. If you are not the intended
recipient, you may not legally copy, disclose or use the contents in any way
and you should
contact squiz@squiz.net immediately and destroy this message and any
attachments. Thank you.