jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stress testing with JMeter - HTTP User Parameter Modifier
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:45:19 GMT
On 03/09/2008, ashish261080 <ash.abrol@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to simulate 1,000 requests on my web application each request passing
> different paramaters to the login.jsp file ie. 1000 different usernames and
> passwords to the login page. For that I defined set of users in an XML file
> named users.xml and saved it under the bin directory of JMeter's
> distribution with the name users.xml overwriting the existing sample file

The users.xml file is deprecated; it is much better to use a different
method such as CSV Dataset.

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE allthreads SYSTEM "users.dtd">
>
>   <allthreads>
>
>        <thread>
>                <parameter>
>                    <paramname>username</paramname>
>                    <paramvalue>linuxuser</paramvalue>
>                </parameter>
>                <parameter>
>                    <paramname>password</paramname>
>                    <paramvalue>techie</paramvalue>
>                </parameter>
>        </thread>
>
>        <thread>
>                <parameter>
>                    <paramname>username</paramname>
>                    <paramvalue>windowsuser</paramvalue>
>                </parameter>
>                <parameter>
>                    <paramname>password</paramname>
>                    <paramvalue>non-techie</paramvalue>
>                </parameter>
>        </thread>
>   </allthreads>
>
> I then changed the following input fields in order to simulate each
> individual user with the stress test:
>
>    * Number of threads: From the Thread Group option, changed this number
> to 3 to reflect those declared in the users.xml file.
>    * Pre-processors: While placed on the HTTP Request icon, right-clicked
> and selected the Add -- Pre Processors -- User Parameter choice from the
> pull-down menu. I read that this option tells JMeter to load the users.xml
> file.
>
> But despite doing that I don't see the users.xml contents being reflected in
> the User "Parameter" Preprocessor screen as given in the screenshot.
>
> JMeter manual says there is a preprocessor "HTTP User Parameter Modifier"
> but I can find only "User Parameter" Preprocessor. Please tell me where am I
> going wrong. Am i using the wrong version. I am currently using
> jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2 version.

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_User_Parameter_Modifier
says that the element is deprecated; one should use

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#User_Parameters

instead

See also the CSV Data Set Config element, which is more suitable for
large numbers of parameters:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#CSV_Data_Set_Config