jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CSV Data Set config sharing mode issue
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:21:52 GMT
On 14/08/2008, James Hill <everywherenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
>  Not sure if anyone has noticed this or not, but something has shown up in
>  our testing recently with the CSV Data Set config element. When we set the
>  sharing mode to current thread and kick off a run with two threads, the
>  sampler (in this case a WebService(SOAP) Request) is using the same row from
>  the data file twice i.e. when the sampler is required to grab data from the
>  file it's using a row twice, once for each thread.

That's how it's supposed to work - "current thread" means the file is
shared with the current thread only, i.e. each thread reads the file
separately.

>  When we change it to All
>  threads the problem disappears and the rows in the data file are accessed
>  sequentially by each thread.
>
>  As an aside, we're using the data file to hold data for creating users in
>  our application though I'm starting to think a counter and some variable
>  names might be a better way of doing it. Certainly less load intensive once
>  we move out of proof of concept and really start hammering the app.

It may be less intensive, but probably not much.

The main advantage is that there is no need to create the data file.

CSV Dataset (or the StringFromFile function) is particularly useful
for data that is difficult to generate at run-time.

>  Has anyone else seen this problem? Should we be setting sharing mode to

That's equivalent to All threads (unless you are using the same file
in multiple thread groups).