jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Timers in JMeter
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:10:15 GMT
1) Timers are explained here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#timers
and here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/test_plan.html#timers

The Uniform Random Timer is explained here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Uniform_Random_Timer

The UR Timer delay "is the sum of the random value and the offset value. "

2) Timers do not affect ramp-up time.

3) Samplers are explained here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/test_plan.html#samplers
and detailed here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#samplers

I suggest you try setting up a simple test plan and experiment.

On 20/07/2008, Z W <mpc8250@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David
>
>  Appreciate your help here.
>  Is anyone out there who can help explain to David and I on the timers
>  specifically, with the questions I had in the post ?
>
>  Many thanks
>
>  2008/7/20 David Brown <david@davidwbrown.name>:
>
> > Hello Z W, This is of not comprehensive since the number implementation of Timers
exceeds my ability I can only provide you
>  > w/ the attached Test Plan jmx and a JPEG of the Table Visualizer Sampler of the
recored data from the first 2 HTTP Requests
>  > that have Child Timers attached to them. Run the Test Plan.jmx as provided and
change and vary the Timers and the Samplers
>  > to get a feel for how the Child elements, in this case: Timers, interact with their
parent elements such as the: ThreadGroup.
>  > I tried to attach a screen shot of my run of the Test Plan.jmx but the JMeter Qmail
SMTPd would not allow the JPEG file size so you will have to run the attached JMX Test Plan
to get the Table Visualizer numbers. HTH, David.
>  >
>  >
>  > Z W wrote ..
>  >> Hi David
>  >> Thanks for sharing that doc but can you help answer my original 3
>  >> questions since they require more specific answers, as related to
>  >> timers. Examples using numbers to explain the contexts on how they are
>  >> used would help me greatly. Other friends are also facing the same
>  >> issues of not understanding the timers well and created a lot of
>  >> confusion in discussion.
>  >>
>  >> 2008/7/19 David Brown <david@davidwbrown.name>:
>  >> > Hello Z W, please find attached a JMX file: Test Plan public.jmx. This
file has
>  >> several Samplers under a single ThreadGroup as a result of JMeter Proxy recording.
>  >> This means all the HTTP Requests, which are Samplers, were recorded using HTTP
>  >> Requests which are just Samplers. A few Listeners are thrown in to keep it
interesting.
>  >> I used this Test Plan at a job to compile numbers for the document deliverable
>  >> to the Chevron IT dept. The compiled document explained why there server application
>  >> issues were in need of serious attention. If you get to the point where you
are
>  >> prompted for the password it is running correctly. The password may be found
in
>  >> the HTTP Request Samplers. The PDF that I read to build this Test Plan is at:
>  >> >
>  >> > http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/jmeter_proxy_step_by_step.pdf
>  >> >
>  >> > HTH, David.
>  >> >
>  >> > Z W wrote ..
>  >> >> David
>  >> >> Can you give a concrete example with numbers ?
>  >> >>
>  >> >> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:48 PM, David Brown <david@davidwbrown.name>
wrote:
>  >> >> > Hello Z W, I'm no JMeter expert but if you study the GUI layout
of a Jmeter
>  >> TestPlan
>  >> >> you will see that you add Samplers to ThreadGroups. So if you add
3 Samplers
>  >> >> one ThreadGroup you have 3 Samplers that can take on more attributes
such as
>  >> a
>  >> >> Timer. HTH, David.
>  >> >> >
>  >> >> > Z W wrote ..
>  >> >> >> Hi
>  >> >> >>
>  >> >> >> 1- I'm not sure how to use uniform random timer, its parameters
Random
>  >> >> >> Delay Maximum and Constant Delay Offset and how they relate
to each
>  >> >> >> other.
>  >> >> >>
>  >> >> >> 2- Also, how do these parameters (Random Delay Maximum and
Constant
>  >> >> >> Delay Offset ) affect the thread group ramp up time for 3
threads,
>  >> >> >> ramp-up time 5 seconds and 3 loops.
>  >> >> >>
>  >> >> >> 3- I'm also confused with the term sampler and its grouping.
With 3