jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question regarding simulating different type of browsers
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:44:32 GMT
On 02/07/2008, Wing Tang <wing.tang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am wondering whether jmeter 2.3 can simulate different type/version

The current version is 2.3.2

>  browsers. For instance I have a script when run I want to simulate the
>  behaviour as Internet Explorer 6 and when running the next time I want to do
>  it as Firefox 2.
>
>  Can you someone tell me whether this is possible, and how I can configure
>  it?

JMeter is not a browser, but it can send the same HTTP requests as a browser.

So if you are asking whether JMeter can look like a particular browser
as far as the server is concerned, then yes, provided that you send
the correct requests to the server.

The main way that the servers detect the browser type is via the
header User-Agent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User-Agent

You can set this using the header manager.

Or use the JMeter Proxy to record identical sessions (one page will be
enough) with each of the browsers and have a look at the captured
headers.

Then use variable(s) for the headers that differ, and pass the
variable in to the test plan.