jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Yazad Khambata" <yaz...@gmail.com>
Subject "Timed" AJAX request
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 11:49:37 GMT
Hi All,

            I am a complete newbie to jMeter and am working with my first
test case :) but be rest assured that I have read the relevant documentation
before asking this question.

            Just a brief background of what I am trying to achieve: I have a
page which refreshes its data by firing AJAX requests "every Nth second"
(the catch of my problem elaborated below)… The AJAX returns very large
amount of data, so we decided to split it into 2 AJAX requests being
simultaneously fired by each user. Now each have a trade off – the former
has one large slow processing request and the latter request will process
faster individually but may have scalability issues since the number of
requests have effectively doubled. I am trying to load test the tow
scenarios…

My test case:

1. Test Case I (when there is just one large AJAX request).
  a. Threads (users): 100
  b. Ramp Up: 10 secs (so every 10th second 10 users from the total 100 will
start firing requests)
  c. Loop 100 times (so each user will fire the one BIG AJAX request 100
times)
  d. Next I added a HTTP Request with the URL
2. Test Case II (when there are two smaller AJAX requests)
  a. Threads (users): 100
  b. Ramp Up: 10 secs (so every 10th second 10 users from the total 100 will
start firing requests)
  c. Loop 100 times (so each user will fire the each of the 2 "smaller" AJAX
request 100 times) – 200 requests per user
  d. Next I added "2" HTTP Request under the thread group.

Now my problem is: even though I am able to simulate the load of users I
don't seem to understand how to achieve the "every Nth second" firing of a
request(s) – here in my current test case as soon as a user (thread) is
created all the request are fired together which is NOT the case with the
application – the 100 request for a single user have to be "timed". Even in
the second case I need to 2 requests to be fired together at the Nth second
but definitely NOT all the 200 request hitting the server when the Thread
starts.

            Please let me know how I can achieve this? Will timers or loops
help – if yes where do I create the timer object?

            Thank you in advance for the solution (and remember it is my
first and hopefully last test case :))

Regards,

Yazad Khambata

yazad3@gmail.com