jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Rancati <i...@sharpmind.de>
Subject Testing http dowload of large files
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:55:14 GMT

I need to test the performance of a http server with increasingly bigger
files, so I have set up 4 linux hosts that are running jmeter-server 2.3.1
(jdk 1.6, using up to one GB for heap) and one controller running jmeter in
graphical mode (no results tree, only an Aggregate Report).

I don't need to examine the file contents, only the download throughput as
the number of threads and the file size (up to 8GB) increases.
The problem is that, eventually, as I increase the size and/or the number of
threads, I get out of heap space errors on the jmeter-server hosts.
Also, the throughput is slower than if using a plain wget on the same hosts.

This is with both flavours of the http sampler (java and http client).
I have configured the Sample Result Save Configuration to disable saving of
response data and messages.

Is there a setting in the http samplers that tells them to just download the
file as wget -O /dev/null would do, ignoring the contents?

thank you
Ivan