jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time spent where?
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:33:37 GMT
On 28/01/2008, Lists <lists@dankeeley.co.uk> wrote:

> > How much longer? A few percent or much more?
> >

> significantly.  an average of 89ms at the apache logs, and yet 140 at

Does not seem too bad considering that the data has to be transferred
across the network.

> jmeter.  The key point is though that this latency is pratically zero at
> lower loads.  The reason it causes us a problem is we define failure by
> saying 95% of responses must be less than a given response time - so this
> extra gap is seemingly causing us to fail the tests, but unnecessarily.

Depends on the target of course.

> > Are all samples affected?
>
> Err, good question, i've been looking at averages, so i dont know at this
> point.  I guess i should look at standard deviation perhaps..?
>
> > Does the additional time depend on the sample size?
>
> Err, sample size?  or throughput?  yes it increases with throughput.

I meant the number of bytes downloaded.

Bigger samples generally take longer to download.
Some conditions (e.g. network contention) may affect larger samples
more than smaller ones as the transfer time is greater as a proportion
of total time.