jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMeter Distributed (Remote) Testing vs. CSV Data Config
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:28:35 GMT
On 09/11/2007, kingt <cantenemilam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> sebb-2 wrote:
> >
> > On 09/11/2007, kingt <cantenemilam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> As I need to stress a cluster of Tomcat servers, using a single JMeter
> >> seems
> >> insufficient.
> >
> > Have you tried using a single JMeter instance?
> >
> > Yes, in the previous platform which I use a 2-way SMP P3 machine to drive
> > the workload. It seems okay to drive enough load to the cluster of 8
> > machines for some applications. But I will switch to a new platform of P4
> > machines, and the load driver is of same configuration as the web app
> > servers, except more RAM. Some applications are based on SOAP and so
> > running JMeter on single machine may not be enough to stress the cluster
> > of 8 Tomcat servers. Do you have that experience? How many clients are
> > required in such a case? Thanks.
> >
> >> I decide to try the JMeter remote testing.
> >>
> >> Since I have to test the web application LRU cache behavior, the input
> >> sequence of the requests (each would access a cached web object) is
> >> important to me.
> >>
> >> My input parameters carried on the requests are stored in a CSV file -
> >> like
> >> a proxy trace log. So I used the CSV data config component to drive the
> >> workload. I wish to ask - under distributed mode, will each client
> >> machine
> >> feed alternate requests in coordinated manner or just feed redundant
> >> request
> >> samples at about the same instant as if each client has the same replica
> >> of
> >> the CSV file to the cluster?
> >
> > The CSV file needs to be present on each server host; each server will
> > read its own copy.
> >
> > I suggest you partition the requests so each server exercises its own
> > set of URLs.
> >
> > OIC. Then I feel this "distributed testing" feature is really of no big
> > difference with manually having a shell script to start separate jmeter
> > instances on different machines. But it has an advantage - merge of
> > separate results. But will it give me the total/aggregated throughput and
> > average latency, and how (e.g. what listeners and controls I should add
> > but not affecting scalability)? Thanks.

For minimum overhead, don't configure any Listeners in the test, and
use non-GUI client with the -l flag to start a simple listener; use
CSV output.

Perhaps add a Summariser (see jmeter.properties).

The CSV file can be read back in after the test has completed.

If this still overloads the client, the run separate non-GUI tests and
merge the output files - see:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JtlFiles