jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Default header (Still playing with the SOAP stuff)
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:35:37 GMT
On 02/10/2007, b4d93r <b4d93r@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day everyone!
>
> I'm very grateful for this group and I hope I don't drive anyone insane with
> all my questions! I'm primarily a web site tester but have been given the
> task of testing back end stuff now.
>
> I'm trying to understand the default header business in Jmeter regarding
> SOAP/XML requests. in the example simple test case described below, do I
> need to have a "HTTP Header Manager"?

The Header Manager is used to add headers to the HTTP request, e.g. User-Agent.

Sometimes these are needed for servers that do different things for
different browsers.

> Test Run A
>  - Gaussian Random Timer
>  - Thread Group
>     - SOAP/XML-RPC Request
>     - SOAP/XML-RPC Request
>     - View Results Tree
>     - Summary Report
> Workbench
>
> This is just a quick test I threw together to send SOAP/XML requests to a
> couple of Tomcat servers. After discussing this with another colleague (who
> is off site) he suggested we change the "default header" which I have no
> idea what or where that is. Could he be referring to the "HTTP Header
> Manager"? (I've changed names of certain parts due to confidentiality
> reasons.)
>
> In scenario A we run the test with the address
> http:servername.mycompany.corp:7070 in the URL field and it runs just fine.
> This is hitting the Apache server and it's responding with "Yes, hello! I am
> here and I hear you talking to me!"

Are you talking about an ordinary HTTP request/response here, or SOAP?

> In Scenario B we run the same test but add on the path to the application
> web service and get the "500 Internal Server error" and the following error,
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>

>   ns1:Client.NoSOAPAction
>   no SOAPAction header!

Is there a SOAPAction header in the data sent?

The XML-RPC sampler just sends the contents of the GUI field; it does
not add anything.

>    servername.mycompany.corp
>

> In Scenario C we move the final destination of the above path to the "Send
> SOAPAction" field and check it. When we run the test we get a "500 Internal
> Server error" under the Sampler result and the response data gives
>
> <?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="UTF-8"?>soapenv:Server.userExceptionorg.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
> The processing instruction target matching &quot;[xX][mM][lL]&quot; is not
> allowed.servername.mycompany.corp
>
> My knowledge on XML is very limited but it looks to me like the final
> destination is either not configured properly to recieve the request thus
> it's throwing errors.
>
> Now the XML file we are sending (that I have inserted into the "Soap/XML-RPC
> Data" field starts as follows (Again, I changed the names "theservice" and
> username and password due to confidentiality reasons.)

It's almost all missing, so difficult to tell what is going on here.