jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Lucas Partridge <lucas_partri...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: How to run the JMeter client locally on ZOS?
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:51:06 GMT
Unfortunately I no longer have access to the ZOS box and therefore can't
answer your questions:(.

I would guess that if I had created a JMX file using JMeter on ZOS then
the XML header line would have had an encoding value of Cp1047.  That is
what the file.encoding Java system property was reported to be on the box.
 I think that is the EBCDIC code page.

I should have clarified what I meant by 'binary format' before.  The JMX
files were originally in ASCII so they remained as ASCII when ftp'd in
binary transfer mode over to the ZOS box.  If you transfer an ASCII file
using ftp's text transfer mode however, then the ftp daemon on ZOS
automatically converts the format to EBCDIC.  This can be a bit confusing
if you don't realise this, as I didn't at first!

Thanks for your help.
Lucas.

sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
10/07/2007 12:45
Please respond to
"JMeter Users List" <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>

"JMeter Users List" <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: How to run the JMeter client locally on ZOS?

On 09/07/07, Lucas Partridge <lucas_partridge@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
> Thanks very much, Alf - you saved my day because that worked!:)
>
> I downloaded the jakarta-jmeter-r554518 nightly build, set the content
> encoding for the POST requests (and the GET requests for good measure -
> probably not necessary though!) to ISO-8859-1, and JMeter then ran fine
on
> z/OS.  That is, my application understood the POST requests.
>
> BTW I also discovered that my automation had to copy the jmx files over
as
> binary format but the corresponding csv data input files as EBCDIC for
> JMeter to run properly.  If instead the jmx files were in EBCDIC then I
> got a parse exception when JMeter tried to read them:

JMX files are in XML, which it seems can use EBCDIC.

However, I think the encoding needs to be set appropriately - instead of

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

you would need something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="CP037"?>

Might be interesting to try that?

Also, if you create a JMX on z/OS, what does the XML header line look
like?

<snip/>
> ...and if the csv data files were in binary then garbage was fed into
the
> POST request.
>
> Many thanks for your help.  That's a huge relief.
> Regards,
> Lucas.
>
> PS It might be worth adding the content encoding value as an extra field
> for the HTTP Request Defaults config element.

Good idea.

> Alf Høgemark <alf@i100.no>
> 06/07/2007 20:08
> Please respond to
> "JMeter Users List" <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>

> JMeter Users List <jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: How to run the JMeter client locally on ZOS?
>

> Hi
>
> I think you should try the nightly build of jmeter.
> There you can specify the content encoding used for sending the POST
> request.
> There is a parameter in the HTTP Request where you set the content
> encoding, typically UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1, or whatever your web app is
> expecting.
>
> In Jmeter 2.2, the "JRE default encoding" was used in a number of
> places, and it sounds like
> the "JRE default encoding" on ZOS is ebcdic.
> So I am pretty sure you should get it working if you use the nightly
> build of jmeter.
>
> Regards
> Alf Hogemark
>
> Lucas Partridge wrote:
> > I know JMeter works when I run it from a Windows box and point it at a
> ZOS
> > box, but I want to run JMeter 2.2 in batch mode (-n) from within Unix
> > System Services on ZOS.  This is so that I can automate some tests.
> >
> > However when I run JMeter it appears to send garbage data (EBCDIC?) in
> the
> > POST request:
> >
> > POST /SpringSimpleAddressBookWeb/add_contact.do HTTP/1.1
> > Connection: keep-alive
> > Cookie:

JSESSIONID=00003IPlaBORkaMwOuHwpOAmjUu:C081E072F214D42E000000D40000000109390F0B
> > Host: 9.145.68.119:9081
> > Accept: text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, */*; q=.2
> >
> > ~???P
> >
> > ... as opposed to something like this when JMeter is run from Windows:
> >
> > POST /SpringSimpleAddressBookWeb/add_contact.do HTTP/1.1
> > Connection: keep-alive
> > Cookie:

JSESSIONID=0000RMNYrz2DRWwXGi1zEQMNBIq:C081E072F214D42E000000D40000000109390F0B