jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about http post request
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2007 22:53:04 GMT
On 4 Feb 2007 17:30:00 -0500, Jian Tong <TongJ@toronto.cbc.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to simulate http post requests with Jmeter. But I cannot
> understand the results I got. My test plan is like this:
>
> Test Plan
> -Thread Group
> --http default request
>   server: www.qa.nm.cbc.ca
> --http request
>   path: testthenation/language/pretest/answers
>   method: post
>   files with the request: .../data1.xml
> --view result tree

Looks OK.

> This xml file contains some data that the server will read and insert into
> database.
>
> Before I tried with Jmeter, I use Curl to do the post request with the same
> server name, path and xml file. All data are successfully picked and saved
> into the database. But when I tried it with Jmeter, no data go to database.
> The following info is given by "View Results Tree" listener:
>
> (1) view results tree - Sampler result
> Thread Name: Thread Group 1-1
> Sample Start: Sun Feb 04 12:46:58 EST 2007
> Load time: 190
> HTTP response code: 200
> HTTP response message: OK
>
> HTTP response headers:
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 17:46:54 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Linux/SUSE) PHP/4.3.4 mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a
> mod_jk/1.2.6-dev
> Set-Cookie: Webtrends=1.130.12.83.260741170611214457; path=/; expires=Fri,
> 03-Aug-07 17:46:54 GMT
> Cache-Control: public, max-age=0
> Expires: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 17:46:54 GMT
> Connection: close
>
> (2) view results tree - Request
> POST
> http://www.qa.nm.cbc.ca/testthenation/language/pretest/answers
> POST data:
> [no cookies]
> Request Headers:
> (3) view results tree - Response data
> 4

Rather  odd.

> There is on error according to the listener, but I have doubts on two
> points, one is the post data showing above is empty, so I am wondering if
> the xml file is really recieved by server. Second is the response data,
> which is "4".
>
> Anybody can help me to find out what the problem is ?

Any errors in jmeter.log ? Perhaps the xml file could not be found?

You could add a "Save Responses to a File" Post-Processor - this will
store the exact responses from the server in case the Tree View is not
displaying things correctly.

Or you can use a proxy server or network sniffer to see what is happening.

See

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/NetworkSniffer

for some suggestions.