jmeter-user mailing list archives

From James Bull <jb...@thoughtworks.com>
Subject Re: Extending jmeter
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:08:48 GMT
On 02/11/06, James Bull <jbull@thoughtworks.com> wrote:

>> I put the jar file containing only my class file into the lib
directory.
>> Is the package name important?

>No, but the jar needs to be put into lib/ext, not lib.

Thats done the job. Thankyou very much. I have now got a listener that
writes the page time to the log file.
I can see how to proceed from here.

>Seems fine, but it might be useful to be able to have unequal bucket
sizes.

>> Would it be a crazy idea to try this for 100 buckets thus ending up
with
>> 100 values stored per test and 10 or so comparisons needed?

>Should be OK, but needs to be tested...

Absolutely. I was thinking that I would generate as much load as I could
on a static page on my local machine with a fixed number of users and an
aggregate listener.
I would add in the new listener I have created and run the same test
again. If I've done it right there shouldn't be a significant drop in
performance.
I could find the number of buckets at which the change in performance was
> x% and hard code a limit for the number of buckets at that level.

Do you have any opinion on an appropriate value for x?

>As mentioned above, I think it would be useful to have variable bucket
sizes.
I have been having a think about this.

If I am correct then the reason you want a variable bucket size is so you
can look at certain ranges in more (or less) detail. ie

0 - 0.1, 0.1 - 0.5, 0.5 - 0.75,   0.75-1.5 , 1.5 - 3, 3-6.

I also see some value in being able to have j-meter work out some auto
ranges by specifying
Start:
End:
No of intervals:

This would be useful if you wanted more than a few intervals.

I think both would be good. Do you agree?

I think te easiest way to specify the intervals manually is to have a
simple table with the first value (0) filled in and you fill in the end
value for each interval with it auto creating the next row in the table
with your end value from the last row being the start value for this one.
The final row would remain uncompleted. This would give you two catch all
buckets at either end.

I'm going to start with auto generated buckets and test it with various
numbers. Then I will add in user specified bucket sizes with the info
being written to the log and finally try to get the info into the gui.

James